Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Catching up to do

Brief thoughts before my shows start tonight. I've been busy over this past week, with various nighttime commitments that have caused me to miss my shows. Thank the DVR gods, I was able to catch up this past weekend. Of course last night I ended up going to see my coworker's cousin's sketch comedy show instead of watching my shows at home. I caught my DVR'd HIMYM at midnight last night, but I couldn't stay awake through anything else, so I'm again behind on Heroes and Chuck. (Also, I need to start watching Aliens in America. I've heard great things.)

As for the shows that I missed last week, here are my thoughts after watching them this weekend. Let my opinions guide you (or fail to guide you) in this week's TV choices as you will.

Tuesday
Bones: Sorry, Brett. I love it. I'm a sucker for a TV show about partners with mad sexual tension. And this season premiere was Bones at its best. Who cares if the scientific explanations are always RIDICULOUSLY bad. The show is always funny, with lots of sexual tension. That's really all I need. [Lisa says: I Recommend. A-]

Beauty and the Geek: Still love it. [Lisa says: I Recommend. A-]

House: There's something so comforting about the formula of House. It's highly parody-able (that's not a word), which makes it that much more enjoyable. At the same time, the acting is fantabulous, and the show is downright hilarious. (Also, is it me or did you see Kal Penn in the preview for this week? Yes!) [Lisa says: I Recommend. A]

Boston Legal: Although I don't think it deserved to win an Emmy over The Sopranos, I do enjoy this show. Why? Because it's CLASSIC David E. Kelley. And any TV scholar (yes, I just called myself that... if you think that's an oxy moron, I think you're an actual moron - and quite judgmental - and you can shove it) can appreciate David Kelley's impact on the industry. LA Law is his biggest claim to fame as far as the history of tv goes. But I was a fan of Picket Fences and The Practice when I was younger, I was a fan of Ally McBeal after that (WHEN are you releasing the DVDs, David? Get OVER yourself), and who can deny the rest of his TV resume: Doogie Howser (NPH!!!!), Chicago Hope, Boston Public. Anyway, Boston Legal isn't a show I get really excited about watching every week, but once it's on I'm glad I did. [Lisa says: I recommend. B+]

Wednesday
Back to You: I knew the mediocre pilot was deceiving. I thought last Wednesday's episode of BTY was pretty redeeming. Funny, classic sitcom with awesome star power. If you're into comedies with alternative humor like I am (The Office, Arrested Development, Scrubs, HIMYM, you get the idea), don't expect anything like that - lest you be sorely disappointed. But if you're up for some classic newsroom sitcom antics, you'll be pleased. [Lisa says: It depends. B]

'Til Death: Brett hates it, I like it. (I only mention this because I respect Brett's TV opinions, and if he hates something, it's worth noting before you decide whether to watch.) It's pretty sarcastic, which is why I like it. Not that interesting as far as story lines. But it makes me laugh. [Lisa says: It depends. B]

ANTM: Tyra's a mess and I love it. [Lisa says: I recommend. A-]

Private Practice: It's no Grey's Anatomy (sorry Brett, I know you hate Grey's). A lot about this show depends on whether you liked or hated Addison on Grey's. Also, just a disclaimer: this show is NOT appropriate for children. Or men. Unless you're a man who's entirely comfortable with multiple storylines about childbirth, insemination, abortion, pap smears, and lots and lots of va-jay-jays. I liked it (it helps that I love so many of the actors in it), but I can't see any of my male friends who watch Grey's actually opening up to watch Private Practice. [Lisa says: Only recommended for women. B]

Bionic Woman: I thought I'd hate it. Ended up really liking it. Lots of girl power in this show, but also lots of espionage, cool technology, interesting characters and mega butt-kicking. Hopefully once they get past the exposition it will get more interesting. I love a good conspiracy story. [Lisa says: I recommend. For now. B+]

Gossip Girl: Yeah, I still can't resist this show. I think it depends how you're watching it. No highly intellectual stuff here. And the whiny-ness of the privileged white kids can get irritating. But the characters are interesting, both the girls and guys are absolutely gorgeous, and it's mindless smut with haves/have-nots moral overtones. Like it or leave it as you will. [Lisa says: It depends. B+]

Dirty Sexy Money: I love Peter Krause. Also, mega corruption here. However, I feel it becoming one of those shows I forget to watch, and I don't think the pilot lived up to its spectacular banner ads. But it was intriguing enough for me to keep watching. If only because I love Peter Krause. [Lisa says: It depends. B-]

Life: LOVED IT. I saw the preview for this quite some time ago, thanks to Brett. I doubted this show's stickiness, although I thought it looked great. Well I've gotta tell ya, it exceeded my expectations. I'm hoping it doesn't fizzle under the weight of its similar-demographic time-slot competitors, CSI: Miami (shoot me in the face) and Dirty Sexy Money. If you're gonna watch one show in this time slot, let it be Life. (I'm looking at you, Nielsen viewers.) [Lisa says: I recommend. A+]

Thursday
The Office: UGH I LOVE THIS SHOW. Seriously, this was one of the best eps yet. Lots of Jim and Pam (JAM) goodness, and so many laughs that my stomach hurt. Seriously, I can't get enough of The Office. I'm in love with it, let's just leave it at that. [Lisa says: Recommend isn't a strong enough word for what I feel about this show. A++]

Grey's Anatomy: Strong start for everyone's favorite soap. (Except Brett. Sorry Brett.) I'm glad Shonda hasn't lost her touch. Lots of new plot elements and characters this year, but our old favs are back to their old tricks. Still love it. Seriously. [Lisa says: I recommend. A]

Big Shots: Only lasted through half of it. It's terrible. Not much interesting going on. Love Josh Malina, but even he can't get me to watch this show. For a series trying to be Desperate Housewives For Men, it sure has a long way to go. You can only watch a bunch of assholes walking around on a golf course for so long. Especially without a good script. [Lisa says: Steer clear. D]

Sunday (Yeah, that's this week's TV, but I watched it, so here it is):
Desperate Housewives: Getting old. Can't believe it's signed for so many more years. Hoping the storyline gets a little more interesting than last season. There was some good stuff in the episode, but also some stuff that was a bore. Come on Housewives, you can do it! [Lisa says: Eh. C-]

Brothers and Sisters: Strong start to the season. In case you don't know, it's a sappy soap drama with liberal leanings and a strong political theme. But great acting, compelling storylines... and did I mention great acting? I'm a fan. [Lisa says: I recommend. As long as you're not socially conservative - if you are, you'll hate it. If you're not, watch away! B+]

That's the rundown. Sorry to give it all at once! I'll do better at keeping up with this from now on. :-) Peace out, TV homies.

6 comments:

Brett... said...

I want to like Bones, I really do. But that episode last season where the gravedigger had Zooey Deshanel's sister and that bearded sarcastic guy buried was such a good episode. And they didn't catch the gravedigger. They didn't mention him the next week! Did they eventually bring him back? Don't care, because you don't cheat the audience out of a hook like that. That's storytelling for the masses, not the fans. Rant, off.

Lisa said...

I agree about the end of that ep - a lot of Bones fans were kind of miffed. But they try to be like X-Files. Don't know if you ever watched that, but I used to be obsessed. X-Files always left a few good killers like that one out there so they can come back in later episodes. But I'm with you, that was mean. (They usually catch them. Unless it's a mythology episode, like the ones about Bones' family.) He hasn't come back yet, but I've heard talk that we haven't seen the last of him. But I see what you're saying.

Lisa said...

P.S. gravedigger was only the second killer I remember that they left uncaught - and the first was a creepy serial killer who did indeed come back (with a vengeance... against bones) a season later.

Brett... said...

I know, I know...I'm too hard on ol' Bones. But I like my stories serialized, like real life. I just think they play it too safe on this show, and I probably keep myself from watching it so I don't get too enthralled and suffer disappointment on a regular basis. I'm looking in your direction, Lost, you backstabbing son of a bitch.

Lisa said...

Right?! I totally hear you.

::shakes fist:: (Lost!! I curse your name!)

Malice Blackheart said...

Hey Lisa, have you heard of a 2006 miniseries called "The Lost Room"? Peter Krause is the star. Basically it’s about a detective who finds ordinary objects with special powers. It’s like nothing I’ve ever seen before.